Published on April 1, 2024, 5:36 pm

Microsoft’s revamped content and collaboration platform leverage the advanced power of Artificial Intelligence. However, for this technology to succeed, superior talent is also crucial. SharePoint Premium, unveiled in late 2023, may have a misleading name in software history. Nevertheless, diving into Microsoft’s introduction of “AI-driven future of content management and experiences” reveals that SharePoint Premium offers more than just additional features to SharePoint—it presents entirely different and intriguing possibilities. As we enter the era of enterprise software enhanced by Generative AI, some significant drawbacks highlighting the tough challenges faced by CIOs exist.

Understanding the importance of SharePoint Premium is evident when considering that approximately 20% of data in typical companies is structured, while the remaining 80% consists of unstructured data like emails, documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and voicemails. Previously, IT has predominantly focused on structured data neglecting unstructured data support but now vendors are dividing their products to handle unstructured data effectively.

With SharePoint Premium’s Syntex sub-product powered by AI promising to solve the issue of multiple categorizations with documents placed in suitable folders while providing pointers to other logical folders they belong to. This functionality could potentially offer users benefits of both folder tree navigation and semantic search.

Microsoft’s Windows organizes various file types conveniently through folder trees—a concept also seen in SharePoint for file organization. Similarly, Outlook uses folder trees which can be beneficial for email organization as well. However, it seems Microsoft missed an opportunity by not fully integrating email efficiently within SharePoint Premium like other types of documents.

SharePoint Premium aims to transform documents into content and further into knowledge through its AI capabilities promising a revolutionized perspective on CMS/DMS structures. Adopting these enhancements would need end-user communities’ serious investment in time and attention despite their preference for familiar practices due to inherent resistance towards change.

Promoting Microsoft’s content vision alongside SharePoint Premium requires offering an equally compelling organizational change management vision appealing as its AI-supported content architecture advancements. CIOs seeking approval must simplify explanations for stakeholders who might struggle understanding complex jargon perpetuated by detailed technical descriptions impeding decision-making processes.

In light of ChatGPT revolutionizing our consciousness regarding Generative AI capabilities augmenting human tasks rather than replacing them altogether, concerns raised over technology rendering human roles redundant seem overridden—suggesting AI primarily demands humans level up their skills instead to maintain pace effectively.

In conclusion—Bob Lewis sheds light as a senior IT consultant that aligning IT strategies with business goals remains essential for organizational success when embracing technological advancements shaping today’s digital landscape.

Share.

Comments are closed.