Published on November 9, 2023, 3:12 am
“The evolving landscape of technology solutions requires a fresh perspective on how CIOs and IT leaders approach infrastructure and operations (I&O) management. According to Jeffrey Hewitt, research vice president at Gartner, the key is to adapt to changing views on purchasing, deploying, and managing technology for optimal business outcomes.
Hewitt highlights six trends that will impact the I&O space in 2023:
1. Secure Access Service Edge (SASE): SASE is a comprehensive solution that connects and secures users, devices, and locations as they access applications from any location. This trend has gained traction due to the rise of hybrid work and cloud computing. Gartner predicts that worldwide spending on SASE will reach $9.2 billion in 2023. I&O teams should prioritize integrated single-vendor solutions when implementing SASE.
2. Sustainable Technology: With 87% of business leaders planning to increase their investment in sustainability over the next two years, I&O must embrace sustainable technology to support ESG goals. From improving data center sustainability to adopting circular economy practices for IT devices, I&O can play a crucial role in enterprise-wide sustainability efforts.
3. Platform Engineering: Platform engineering involves integrating management tools and infrastructure components such as application resource management, application performance monitoring, digital experience monitoring, and digital platform conductor tools. This trend enables user-driven self-service infrastructure deployment and enhances I&O agility, speed, efficiency, safety, and compliance.
4. Wireless Value Innovation: Leveraging multiple wireless technologies like Wi-Fi, 5G, Bluetooth, and high frequency allows I&O teams to extend business disruption opportunities beyond mere connectivity. Wireless value innovation creates scalable returns on wireless investments and transforms networks into strategic innovation platforms.
5. Industry Cloud Platforms: Industry clouds offer pre-integrated solutions tailored for specific vertical market needs. As an alternative to multiple cloud offerings, industry cloud platforms combine traditional cloud services with industry-specific functionality. Gartner predicts that over 50% of enterprises will adopt industry cloud platforms by 2027 to expedite business initiatives.
6. Heated Skills Competition: The increasing demand for various skills within I&O organizations, such as cloud expertise, automation, and advanced analytics, creates a challenge in finding the right talent. Additionally, the creation of I&O positions within business units intensifies internal competition for skills. To address this challenge, I&O leaders must consider tools to identify upcoming skill requirements and develop new training approaches to retain existing employees.
As technology and business landscapes continue to evolve rapidly, CIOs and IT leaders must stay updated on these trends to effectively navigate the changing I&O landscape. Embracing innovation and adaptability is crucial for optimizing technology solutions and driving optimal business outcomes.”